As my journey is nearing the end in my class at WVU, I was trying to think of what the most important topic I learned about. Big picture: strive to create long lasting, personal relationships with customers. Better yet, think of your clients as partners.
First, trust needs to be established. It is easier when corporations are transparent. “More and more customers are turning towards companies that have honest and noble intentions. Transparency is the key to gaining consumers’ trust and helps you engage in meaningful dialogue with current and potential customers.”
Consumers like UGC
Fast forward & your brand has loyal customers. Now it is time to use them! “Internet users love user-generated content. UGC allows online users like us to speak up, share their personal values and opinion and connect with like-minded people and the brand. If we didn’t like UGC, Facebook would have a hard time getting to 1.19 billion monthly active user.”
Businesses like UGC
Here are a few more reasons to utilize UGC:
- “Better understanding of target audience: UGC can help you understand what services they are looking for and what issues they run as they progress through their consumer experience.
- More site engagement: UGC allows you to develop and enhance your relationship with consumers as they engage on your site.
- Increased customer satisfaction: Allowing users to ask and answer their own questions increases the likelihood users will find what they’re looking for on your site.
- Stronger community: Creating open forums or a community message board will allow your consumers to occupy your professional online environment in ways that support open-discussion around anything that has to do with your company.
- Increased time on site: Creating opportunities for consumers to express themselves and their thoughts on a given subject or product typically increases the amount of time they spend within a branded environment.
- SEO benefits: More content means more search engine indexing and more search visibility around target key phrases and concepts that are significant to your business.
- Increased social SEO indicators: Since UGC often speaks directly to social audiences, it’s the perfect complement to any social SEO campaign.
- Trustworthy content: The vast majority of consumers trust online reviews as much as personal recommendations, so adding a reviews element can helps consumers trust your product more.”
Emerging Media + UGC
The great thing about user-generated content is that it can be used on a number of digital marketing techniques. Like what, you ask? Oh, anything!
- Social Media
- Mobile advertising
- Games Advertising – Advergames
- Campaigns, Contests, Giveaways
- Product launches
- Attempts to steal customers from competitors
- Awareness for causes
- Seasonal products
- Inspiration for new campaign (from customer reviews)
- Corporate website
As you can see, this content is more the useful to marketers. Connect with audiences so they will want to help you. For fun, here are a few campaigns that utilized UGC.
What are other examples of user-generated content being leveraged?